Sunday, March 7, 2010

RIP Oven. You have served me well.


This has to be quick - work has gone mad and I'm constantly trying to catch up.

My oven has died. This is a major disaster for someone who spends a good portion of every weekend baking for my starving children. (their words, not mine) It was particularly hard to not bake this weekend because it was raining, AGAIN!, and there's nothing nicer than filling the house with the smell of baking on a wet day. (So much better that the strange smell of cat wee that seeps up from under our house when it gets damp) Baking also eliminates the frantic search for morning teas for the entire next week. So instead of baking I was reduced to no-bake recipes. Today's morning tea is Mars Bar Slice - not as decadent as caramel mud cupcakes - but beggars can't be choosers.

My running aim for this week is to get four sessions done. I have speed tomorrow, a
10k on Wed, an 8 on Thurs and between a 12 and 16k on Saturday. Fingers crossed that it all goes well.

5 comments:

  1. Sorry about your oven. I love to bake too. Sounds like a great week of running ahead of you. Rain and no cookie-smell. That bites.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree baking trumps cat wee every time. Sorry about the oven. Can I hear more about this Mars bar slice? Can't be all bad!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Melt 3 Mars bars with 90 gms/3oz of butter and then mix in 3 cups of Rice Bubbles (I think you know it as Rice Krispies). Press into a greased square tin and refrigerate. Then drizzle with melted chocolate (white, milk or dark - your choice)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh that sounds pretty good (Mars bar slice)! It's funny how I don't realize how much I bake until I can't use it for some reason. Sorry about your oven. Hopefully you can get a another soon.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. I love hearing from you.