Thursday, June 24, 2010

Farewell Socceroos. You Fought Valiantly but it was all in Vain


I'm bone weary today. But not from running. I sacrificed my hill run this morning for the sake of patriotism. I got up in the cold and the dark at the inordinately cruel hour of 4:15 am to cheer on the Socceroos in their final World Cup match. Actually I didn't know it was to be their final match - I was hoping and praying for a miracle. We needed a win but it had to be a big win. And we either needed Germany to win big too or for Ghana to do the seemingly impossible and beat Germany.

Well we did win - but only by one goal. And Germany also won - but only by one goal. So the World Cup is now over for me. I'll continue to be a little interested (mostly because I'm in a tipping comp and I'm hoping my ability to pick winners improves) but I've heard there's a little tennis tournament happening in England and there's a few Aussies that haven't been knocked out yet.

And on to my own sporting pursuits - I have the Gold Coast Marathon weekend coming up in 9 days. I'm registered for the 10k on Saturday and the half marathon on Sunday. No I'm not a masochist. I've got perfectly valid reasons for doing both events plus I have the blessing of Coach Chris. But I need to come up with a strategy. At the moment I'm thinking to do the 10 really comfortably, maybe 5:30 pace (which will give me a PW but I'll get the medal and t-shirt regardless). Then back up with a solid hit-out at the half keeping as close to 5 min k's as possible. Opinions anyone?

8 comments:

  1. Easy on the 10K; pay attention during the half marathon. You'll do great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A 10k with a half the next day would be hari kari for me as I have no self-control.
    Love that your team in the Socceroos! So appropriate!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, South Africa is out as well and the whole thing continues with big hoo haa here. I like backing the underdogs.
    I would also do the 10 slow and then see how I feel with the half.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes do the 10K slow if you can. It is hard when everyone else is racing and maybe they thing this is your best. It is hard not to show that it is not! But use your self control and save it for the half.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry about your football team. We here in the States are amazed we made it out of round 1. Pretty exciting for us.

    I like your race weekend plan..hope it all works out for you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. can you believe the USA is still in? Heck, New zealand is still in!! What's going on here?!

    Enjoy the race!! Can't wait to hear about it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good luck for both races. I'm sure that you'll run them as training.

    This world cup is really strange.
    You're right. France, Denmark, Nigeria and Italy didn't go into the second round. Sorry about your football team. I think Australian soccer team is stronger than Ghana.
    Now I hope that the final macth will be Netherlands - Argentina.
    Enjoy your races during the next weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Isn't it funny to get up early to watch soccer? My friend was running past some bars near her house at 5 am and they were OPEN and packed with people watching the game on Wednesday. So funny!
    Have fun with the two races. Back to back races can teach you a lot! I still think the 10ks are more difficult! Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. I love hearing from you.