Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Happily-Ever-After Until Retirement


I don't know if it's just me but sometimes I just need to be alone. All alone in my house without anyone to interrupt my thoughts (or my reading or snoozing). I've always been like this and I expect that I'll always be like this and it's no big deal EXCEPT when I can't get my alone time. And now is one of those times. It's been almost 5 weeks!!!! And I'm totally overdue.

We've had two weeks of school holidays. Follow that with two weeks when my hubby was on holidays (overseeing the kitchen installation). Now I've got my youngest at home with the flu (No it's not man-flu. It's the real thing) Couple that with my oldest's erratic working hours and the middle one being back at uni - again erratic hours - and there always seems to be someone else in the house.

Iven's two weeks off work was the hardest and it's times like these that make me scared of retirement. Seriously, that man knows how to be underfoot. When I turned around he seemed to always be there. The worst was at the supermarket. He wants to push the trolley to help. Makes me wonder how I manage to cope all those other 50 weeks in the year. He runs the trolley into my heels and walks backwards into people and somehow we always seem to spend more. It's nice that he wants to spend the time with me but it'd be so much easier if he could read my mind.

Luckily retirement is still some time off but I'm thinking that I need a plan of action for when that time comes. Firstly I think that full retirement shouldn't happen in one go. He can go from working a 5 day to a 3 day week so we can get used to being in the same house together more often. Then on those 2 days off I'm hoping that he develops a hobby which he is passionate about so when the time comes to stop work all together he will have plenty of things to do to fill his time so he never has to come to the shops with me.

I know this makes me sound like a bit of a shrew. I do love him and enjoy his company but having coffee together is so much more edifying to our relationship than selecting groceries together. And managing the negative sides of the relationship well will mean a much happier happily-ever-after.

6 comments:

  1. I like my alone time too. Last summer when my husband was out of work it was very different. I have some friends who spouses work at home and they never have alone time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally hear where you're coming from!

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, I agree. Everyone needs alone time. Maybe you need to find a hide-away or retreat to escape to from time to time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. TOTALLY understand needing your alone time! I'm the same way. Well, it's funny... I love having time to myself at HOME, but I hate going out by myself. I always like to have hubs along for grocery shopping... even clothes shopping!

    Fortunately I have finally trained him not to ram the cart into me or other people/objects!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This post is so awesome!

    I love this.

    Certainly hit home with me [after my hubby's 5 days home last week]. yikes. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I'm a big fan of alone time at home! It's funny, though, I really enjoy having my husband do the grocery shopping with me. But maybe that's because my kids are still young enough that the alternative of having them with me is SO much more annoying! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. I love hearing from you.