Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Animal Farm


My place has gone a bit Animal Farm (George Orwell). The animals have decided to unite and rebel against their captors. I'm not too sure who the rebel leader is - but I'm thinking it's Nelson our 13 year old Dalmatian. His body is starting to let him down but he's still pretty darned smart AND he loves to escape so he can explore the neighbourhood (or more precisely our neighbour's cat bowl)

The other day I was working in my sewing room which overlooks the back yard when the Rockettes walked past my door cackling loudly. You might remember that the Rockettes have a chicken run now and no longer have free range over the back yard. Somehow they'd escaped. So of course I downed tools and rushed out the back to shoo them into their pen. But in my haste I left my workroom door ajar and that's when Nelson made his break for freedom.

It was the perfect plan. Nelson lets the chickens out (their gate isn't tied up - it's just a push-open gate). The chickens distract me. I spend a good ten minutes chasing them around the backyard while Nelson makes his get-away completely unnoticed. He had enough time to sneak into our neighbour's yard, find the cat bowl and lick it clean before I'd even noticed that he was gone. Genius!!

16 comments:

  1. Nelson must be pretty proud of himself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, Nelson. Bright one, there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The perfect plan! Yes, animals are way smarter than we give them credit for...

    ReplyDelete
  4. They say it's a dogs life ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. My money is on the Rockettes - I never did trust those chickens. Time to make soup...

    ReplyDelete
  6. 2 legs good 4 legs bad? That puts the chickens on our side...

    ReplyDelete
  7. You better squash that rebellion before it gets out of hand. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Time to rename Nelson to Charlie Sheen. Perhaps that's too insulting (for the dog).

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats to Nelson! It's a good plan!

    My daughters have just read that book written by George Orwell.

    ReplyDelete
  10. When they team up you have no chance.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Chasing chickens just sounds like so much fun but I can imagine it would be TOTALLY frustrating if you're the one doing it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a smart old dog :)
    Gotta love them.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I wish you had video of this. Now that would have been good.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nelson is an important name, appropriate for a leader like him.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. I love hearing from you.